Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Update on the RFID (ARPHIDS) in our Passports

WASHINGTON - JANUARY 09: U.S. Senators Dick Du...Image by Getty Images via DaylifeHere is Senator Dick Durbin's response to my question about the security of the RFID in new passports. I don't have one in my passport, so I can't test this out, but will continue to check into the matter.

October 22, 2008



Dear Ms. Iverson:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns about RFID chips in U.S. passports and the Department of Homeland Security's plans to compile data on all Americans who enter the United States through our land borders. I appreciate hearing from you and I understand your concern.

Protecting both the security and the freedom of the American people is among my highest priorities. We must ensure that the federal government defends the people of the United Statesfrom external threats while preserving the civil liberties that have helped make the United States the greatest and most enduring democracy in the world.

The RFID chips that are used in U.S. passports are protected by a shield that prevents access to the information contained on the chip. The information is only accessible when the passport is open and being scanned through a card reader.
Through my time in Congress, I have worked to protect the civil rights of all Americans. I have consistently opposed this Administration's warrantless surveillance program that I believe has violated the rights of American citizens. I also have been a vocal opponent of racial profiling in all situations - including in airports and at land border crossings - and I am a cosponsor of the End Racial Profiling Act (S. 2481).

Most recently, I, along with three other senators, wrote to Attorney General Michael Mukasey to express our concern about new guidelines that will govern the FBI's criminal, national security, and foreign intelligence investigations. I am particularly concerned about the use of intrusive investigative techniques used to assess threats. We must ensure that these guidelines do not permit long-term surveillance and monitoring of innocent Americans.

The Department of Homeland Security's program to keep records of all Americans who enter theUnited States through land borders raises similar concerns. I will monitor this program carefully and I will keep your views in mind as I continue to work to ensure that civil rights, privacy, and the rule of law are protected in our country.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/td


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: